My brain processes the world
through sight and emotional connections. I believe something exists solely
based on what I see in front of me and those things that solicit a strong
emotional connection for me.
Shortly before I made my list, I
made the decision to leave my church. The decision was partly that I didn’t
feel at home within the church I was attending but even more so what I had come
to realize was that church had become a habit. I was dutifully attending church
every Sunday and occasionally doing churchy things during the week. I grew up
in the church. So I’m familiar with the Bible stories and the bulleted,
friendly sermons and the hymnals. But in the end all of it had kept me from the
truth: I could not see God.
And I knew that if God existed, this
habit of mine was doing nothing for me or him.
So I entered a new world. It was one
where church didn’t exist and one where I wasn’t being held accountable by
anybody or held responsible for anything. And I’ll freely admit that I loved it
very much.
While I enjoyed living without the
chains to a God I could not see, I still did not like myself. I began to feel
frustrated and alone. Trying to pursue a
life where I followed all the rules laid out by the church led me to a feeling
of disconnect with God. But living a life free of those rules led me to a path
of loneliness without God. Where was the middle ground?
I decided that I was the problem. I
needed to fix myself and get back to God later. So I made my list. I decided to
focus on making myself a better self, a better friend, a better person. The
original intent with the blog was to set goals for myself and chronicle my journey
in attaining them. As a result I've established the mindset of continuously
seeking forms of self-improvement; to never be content with where I am. In that
sense, I feel the goal has been nearly satisfied. But greater things have
resulted that I never thought I could directly link back to these intentions.
God placed some really pesky,
persistent people in my life. They offered me nothing but simple love and a
willingness to indulge my doubts. Through them I was consistently reminded of
God’s existence simply through their refusal to let me go. It’s because of them
that I saw what I had been looking for, the proof that I needed.
I am slowly removing myself from an
equation that I cannot solve because I believe that no equation exists. Through this process God has
begun a work of enlightenment that seemed so distant before.
.
“Faith enables our spiritual sense to function. Where faith is defective the result will be inward insensibility and numbness toward spiritual things…A spiritual kingdom lies all about us, enclosing us, embracing us, altogether within reach of our inner selves, waiting for us to recognize it. God Himself is here waiting our response to His Presence. This eternal world will come alive to us the moment we begin to reckon upon its reality.” - A.W. Tozer
2 comments:
You're such a great writer! Love the post. And you. :)
Great... I thoroughly enjoyed your insight! Thank you for sharing what you have learned thus far
Post a Comment